Ten Money-Saving Christmas Gift Ideas

As a Catholic freelance writer (who rarely gets actual cash for her work), I shop for Christmas gifts with little or no money.


How do I shop for Christmas?


1. I think of my family and close friends all year round, but send each one of them a special card with a personalized greeting in my own handwriting. I call each of them during the Christmas season on my cell phone and the long distance calls are free, as they are in my cricle.

2. When I see something during the year that reminds me of the person and it is affordable on my budget, I buy it.

3. When I read or review a new book or DVD and finish it, I give it to the person whom I think will most benefit from it or the person who will enjoy it the most.

4. Each year I go the Knights of Columbus fundraiser for a local pro-life facility. There I can get practically new books or like new books for both children and adults, CD's, or DVD's for a fraction of the cost that you would pay in the stores.

5. One of the best gifts is to donate money to a charity in the person's name -- even small monetary donations make a treasured gift.

6. I offer the gift of companionship and time. I invite someone to my home who is away from family and friends to share dinner with us. If someone is lonely or distraught, I give the gift of my time and listen to them.

7. I bake extra cookies, brownies, and special treats, wrap it up and share it with others. I try to personally deliver it.

8. I offer to perform a service for the other person, such as babysit for a couple with a handicapped child who rarely are able to spend time together.

9. I write a personalized poem for the person.

10. I offer the gift of prayer -- something we can all use.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots